It's been a hot minute!

IYA LUVS!


It's been a hot minute since I had the impulse to write on my blog. I wondered whether I would continue to use it, nearly stopped completely and then found myself wanting to share some thoughts that have been floating around my mind for a few weeks. 

Almost a fortnight ago, my debut poetry collection, Perfect Mess, was launched into the world. It is one of my greatest and most unexpected achievements. 5 years ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible, yet here we are! 

A large part of my poetry journey has been embracing the unexpected and going with the flow. In the beginning, I wrote for me. I wanted to experiment with my writing ability and see what was possible. Eventually in 2020, I began to publicly share my poetry and doors have opened for me since that I never even knew were there, and so I surrendered to it; to this journey and the opportunities that may come my way!

It still feels a little odd to say all of that, because change is something I've always found difficult to handle. 

Allowing myself the possibility to accept a positive change in my life, allowing myself to open up, having a willingness to share vulnerability and marvel in it (where poetry was concerned, at least!), had such a positive impact on me and how I approached other segments of my life. 

Yet in these past few weeks, I've noticed how much I am holding on to and how heavy it all seems to feel.

As a result, I've come to a few conclusions that may be of use to me in the future and to you:

1. You don't need to justify your thoughts, actions or behaviour to anybody (and I mean anybody).

How many times have you turned to a loved one, partner or friend to justify an action you've already made? 

How many times have you acted in a certain way, doubted yourself and then almost begged for approval from somebody you trust?

Have confidence in your own decision making, in your own mental strength. Your intuition will take you down the correct path; you simply have to trust it. 

In recent weeks, I've found that this level of trust and confidence in my decision making has made past anxieties and trauma seem so much smaller in my minds eye. Thus, I've been able to comprehend them a little better and reflect positively on what has happened since. 

2. All that matters is how you feel. 

Again, it comes back to trusting yourself and your intuition. 

Understanding that another persons feelings, judgements and opinions are theirs and that they do not have to affect us is, in my opinion, is a true reflection of inner strength and the ability to see beyond somebody else's insecurities or worries (that they are unfairly trying to dump onto you)!

3. A speed that feels right for you, won't be the same as the one society dictates you should be going at...

And that's okay.

I've come to realise how much better I feel when I've actively slowed down to a speed that feels right for me. A speed where I can get things done and further my career but also take much needed time for myself. 

Our society doesn't prioritise rest in the way it should, so that shift has to come from us. 

4. Set intentions for your coming week every Sunday. 

I've been doing this for about a month now and the difference it has made to my mindset and how I tackle my to do list is really positive. 

The other week, my intentions were simple:

  • Breathe.
  • Make one YouTube short.

In moments of distress, I was able to refer back to my intentions list and see that past me was looking out for future me. I also created a short that I'd be really wanting to make and I felt so satisfied and accomplished when I did make it!

Intentions, for me, are what I really want. They have helped me grow as a person, little by little, and have encouraged me to prioritise my happiness above anything else I may need to do. 

It's also scientifically proven that if we make new habits achievable and build up to bigger things, we are more likely to achieve them. 

So, moral of the story - start small!

If you've made it to the end of this blog, I hope you took something away from it for yourself. 

As mentioned earlier, my book is now available for sale at Bent Key Publishing and you can check it out

here: https://www.bentkeypublishing.co.uk/product-page/perfect-mess-rebecca-phythian 

Lots of love, 

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts