Panto got me like...

IYA LUVS!


You know when you start writing a blog on the 7th December and don't finish it until the 19th? Yeah, that's definitely what's happened here!


Honestly, my feet have only recently touched the ground again after starting what has so far been an amazing run of panto shows. 30 shows completed up to now! Playing Sleeping Beauty, or more specifically, a strong and very Mancunian Sleeping Beauty, along with cheeky and very hyper fairy called Marigold is everything one could possibly need to have a fun and feel-good festive season. 


To add to that: this team of creatives, both on and off stage, are one of the most genuine and grounded teams I've ever worked with - they're bloody amazing! I'm so lucky to be sharing the stage with them at a venue I absolutely love too which is the Salford Arts Theatre. 


Currently, our world and what's to come feels incredibly uncertain (again) and it's so difficult for any of us to see past the end of the week and plan for the future. I've certainly felt like that these past few days, that's for certain. What's more, the performing arts industry is really struggling, with many productions across the UK alone facing show cancellations due to COVID cases within their creative teams.


Hope feels so far out of our reach and yet somehow, we must try to remain so. I, for one, want to enjoy the show I'm working on for as long as I am able to work on it. I'm not choosing to ignore the news or what's happening in the world around me, but none of us know what may happen so I'm choosing to prioritise the job at hand and enjoy every second of it. 


Easier said than done, right? Believe me, it's not always straight forward. My anxiety has reared it's head on occasion during this process so I just have to try and deal with it as best I can. Luckily, when I'm performing, it tends to just melt away because all we as performers try and want to do is to be in the moment when we are on stage. An absolute god send for letting sh*t go if you ask me!


Anyway, I have the upmost respect for any/all creatives currently giving everything to the shows they are working on. No doubt many of you, myself included, are also fighting off colds and such like whilst working damned hard to make memories for the people watching. You're doing amazingly - I hope you know that. 


I think one of the most rewarding things about Panto is seeing and hearing the reactions from the younger audience members. That has always and probably will always mean a lot to me. It's been said so frequently before that Panto can often be a child's first experience of theatre. They wholeheartedly surrender to the joy and magic before their eyes and for me, as a performer, hearing their laughter and seeing their smiles and unbelievable happiness at watching us essentially play and on stage for 2 hours is priceless. There is no feeling as gratifying. 


That's all for now, otherwise I'll need a box of tissues!


Thank you so much for reading and have a lovely Christmas.


Lots of love, 

Rebecca x



Photography: Shay Rowan

Comments

Popular Posts