Combating COVID-19 as a Creative!

IYA LUV! 

You, along with many of others, may be self-isolating to combat the spread of COVID-19 after being strongly advised to do so by the UK government. Something which, in many ways, is crucial for this country in order for us to get past this medical pandemic and give our NHS a fighting chance at dealing with it efficiently. 

Now, I'm a creative and I am self-isolating. Not because I think I have Coronavirus but because I am out of work. I had an Easter tour cancelled yesterday and with my part-time job being in a theatre, I currently have little to no opportunities to make an income. 

Of course, there are options for me financially but this doesn't get rid of the fact that I, as well as many other creatives, currently have a lot of free time and don't want to go stir crazy! 

So, I decided to write this blog in the hope of inspiring you to use your isolation time in the best possible way and know that you are not on your own if you too are feeling overwhelmed or anxious.

The following are just a handful of things you can do to occupy your mind, improve your skills and keep a positive mindset...

1. Eat and drink well.


You currently have the time to make whatever meal/drink you fancy from scratch - trust me, it's very fulfilling when you do! I make a smoothie most mornings and a while ago I started sharing on my IG story @rebeccaphythian ...it's called #SmoothieTimeWithBecca... imaginative I know! But it's great because I'm starting the day with something that has natural sugars, healthy ingredients and the feel-good feeling of knowing that I made it myself. Sharing them has been amazing - people have been inspired to do it themselves and I have gained inspiration to try new recipes. 

Now I'm not saying you have to be a super-food god every time you cook a meal or blitz a smoothie, in fact quite the opposite. Bake some cakes or biscuits! We all have moments in the day where we might need a little treat, so why not try making some of your own?

2. Get moving!

Exercise releases endorphins and makes you feel better than you did before, so it seems a no-brainer that moving your booty is going to be a good thing in this unpredictable and stressful time. 
Stick on your favourite song and dance, do a yoga routine, workout, lift weights, stretch or all of the above if you're an eager beaver. 

I've been going to the park near my house and I intend to frequently because I love being outside and what better place to go when it's literally on my doorstep! I can get myself moving whilst being outside and having to worry less about social distancing because there isn't the hustle and bustle of city life. 

3. Fuel your creativity.

As a creative, I like to be busy all the time! If I can occupy my mind with something - fantastic. So whilst you've got so much time at home, think about the opportunities you could allow yourself to fuel your creativity: 

  • Blogging (hehehe!)
  • Write a song, poem, play, musical, book... who knows! The possibilities are endless. (My best friend and I have started writing something together to pass the time!) 
  • Singing
  • Playing an instrument
  • Read a book
  • Listen to music/podcasts. 

Of course, there are lots of other things you could do dependent on what you like doing. It could be that you start Vlogging or learn how to speak a different language but whatever it is - I recommend taking up the thing you've wanted to take up for a long time for ultimate fulfilment. 

4. Share!

Share love, positive energy and whatever you're working on. The creatives in this country have done an amazing job so far at sharing encouragement and what they have been doing on social media and it's made it a better place to be! 

We have really started working together to keep each other positive and creative in this tough time - let's keep doing so. 

5. Do your bit. 

It goes without saying that we want COVID-19 to jog on as soon as possible! So, let's do our bit to combat it's spread. I keep hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial wipes and tissues in my bag at all time, so if I do need to go out, I'm prepared. 

Now I know a lot of people are panic buying at the moment which is both frustrating for non-panic buyers but it means everyone is on high alert when they go to the supermarket. They want to buy everything and anything they think they might need. 

All I would say in response to that is use what you have. You will most likely have supplies in the house that you could use that you have forgotten about. If not, look at alternatives in the shops: normal bars of soap are just as good as anti-bacterial hand wash, just sing something for 20 seconds whilst you wash your hands and they'll clean as a whistle! 

You may be stressed, worried or overwhelmed by what's going on at the minute and that's okay, in fact I'd be worried if you weren't. The important thing to remember is that we're all in the same boat and we must support each other in order to get past this. 

Take care and keep being creative. 

Lots of love, 

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts