Pineapple = Happiness

IYA LUV!

For any 90's kids, you'll appreciate this: I'm currently eating candy sticks (that come with a temporary tattoo!), you know the ones you used to pretend to smoke when you were 6. Oh the joys. 

Anyway, hey! How's it going? Have you got a brew in hand?! EXCELLENT! 

I arrived home from London yesterday after spending the last week in Edinburgh, with a brief stop in Manchester to unpack and repack, and then venturing down to London. In Edinburgh I was, of course, visiting the Fringe Festival and in 3.25 days managed to see 14 shows, some friends and the heavens open enough for me to be soaked to the core. All fun and games! London was lovely, very chilled and it was nice to spend some quality time with my Mum and best friend, who I already miss. 

Safe to say, I've really treated myself in the last week and in more ways than just booking a ticket to see a show - I feel like I've let myself be, in the moment, spontaneously winging it but in the best way. Work hard, play hard! 

I realised when I was leaving Edinburgh, how little I'd used my phone. I usually take lots of pictures: I enjoy photographing moments so I can look back on them in days, weeks or years from now, but I had 4 days of barely using social media or my phone and I can't tell you how liberated I felt. I was actively taking in my surroundings, living and breathing in each moment as it came. I also noticed how my anxiety was almost none existent in that time too. An absolute winner in my book! 

Having the world at our finger tips is incredible, when you think about it. 
You want to know something: Google it on your phone and have an answer in seconds. 
You want to message your friend on the other side of the world: Facebook's got you covered. 
You want to follow the people who inspire you: fill your Instagram with their photo's for daily reminders of their awesomeness! 

HOWEVER, if it's not used with the best intentions, it can be quite damaging. 

I hold my hands up to being that person, at some point or another, that has gone on my phone when someone is talking to me or during a meal or when I'm sat on the bus going to work. In those moments, it's actually disconnected me from my surroundings and the people in it or, to be profound, the rest of the world. 

It's become an escape for many from just being, moment to moment, and yet it is far from an escape! It's a world of its own; one that has made us impatient if we don't find what we are looking for after a click, swipe or search. One that makes comparison normal (my absolute bug bare). Sadly, it's a world where posting only the happiest moments of your day or the best selfie out of 10 is the done thing - how ridiculous! 

Something I strive to do, as most of you will know, is fill my social media with positivity and when positivity isn't possible I opt for being honest, about my day and how I'm feeling. It's my way of letting you all know that actually it's okay to just be on social media - on the world wide web! It's also COMPLETELY okay to not post on social media. You are under no obligation to tell us where you're eating your tea... honestly! 

I am actively going to break my own habit of constantly checking my phone and thoughtlessly scrolling news feeds. In just a few days, I felt considerably different and better in my own mental health. Now that's wonderful, and I'm excited to maintain that!

~

When I got home yesterday, I immediately started to compile a huge to do list. This was a 'sorting my life out' to do list (disclaimer: this happens at least once every week.). I must admit, I was very tired, I felt quite overwhelmed by demanding my own focus to a dozen things I wasn't able to sort out there and then. Silly really. 

I then woke up today feeling quite low but rested so I knew that I would probably get the things done that I needed to throughout the day, I just needed to find positivity from somewhere!

I posted on my Instagram story that I was in need of positive vibes and if anyone had any to share, to send me a message. I'm so glad I did because not only did I get some lovely messages with kind words and affirmations, but I had different conversations all afternoon with people I haven't spoken to for days/weeks and genuinely checked in with them. 

Our mental health is more important than our to do list. There... I said it. 

Your to do list can be completed as and when you want it to be, you are in complete control. Right now, this second, looking after yourself and your head space, or speaking to someone you care about, or eating a really nice meal you've taken the time to cook for yourself is more important. Slowing down from time to time is a good thing. 

Thank you to those who checked in with me today: you made me feel a million time better!



I would like to recommend 'Happy' by Fearne Cotton to anyone and everyone that may be interested in reading it. For me, someone who has and does suffer from depression and anxiety, this book has (so far) been fantastic! It made me realise that over the last few months I've been struggling with negative thoughts about myself, how others see me and generally feeling a lack of self-worth. 

Safe to say, I am feeling considerably better than I was and I know that it was circumstance that let to negative thoughts that felt like they'd fallen out of my control, BUT, this book has helped me find new coping strategies that are very simple but effective, if times like those ever arise again. 

One of my favourite things in the book is being frequently asked to draw what happiness is to you, or write a word that encompasses happiness to you. It doesn't matter what I draw or write, what matters is actively writing or drawing happiness for myself no matter what my mind is doing at that moment (disclaimer: I drew a pineapple the other day).

~

Have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend! 

Lots of love, 

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts