Mental Health Awareness Week 2019

IYA LUV!

Today is the last day of Mental Health Awareness Week. I think this week is fantastic! Social media is full of inspiring words and stories and people are speaking out more frequently! I do want to make it clear, however, that although this week does a truly great job in raising awareness and breaking the stigma - it is something that we should strive to do every day or as much as we can. 

We each have our struggles day to day, we each have a little voice in our head that sparks worry, anxiety and negative or even harmful thoughts but we each have that to varying degrees. 

In one day, I can go from sky high and fearless to feeling depressed, somewhat sloth-like and generally not a joy to be around to an anxious mess overwhelmed by impending doom and then back to bubbly Becca again. 

I know this. 
I accept this. 

It's something that I fight against every single day - something I try to speak about. But there are people that have it much worse than I and we should acknowledge those who are struggling more than ourselves, those that are in need of some TLC, or even just an ear! To be listened to and know that your voice is being heard gives someone in need a feeling of worth which can lift their spirits tremendously. 

In the last month, my coping strategy for my mental health has been to channel my energy, good or bad, into creating things - into my work. This is normal for me, except as a result of extra channelling, care and attention: I've sung more than I have all year, I've been an absolute boss lady for my theatre company - just call me head marketer... and everything else! I gigged with one of my beautiful friends and sang a song I wrote to a backing track I played and recorded (WHAT?!). Along with many other positives, I've somehow managed to keep smashing life even though I'm fully aware I'm not 100% okay.

Right now, I am anxious and I am crying, but I know that writing this blog is important for me and for others like me who need to be reminded of how freakin' awesome they are!


To the people who give me their time, who listen, laugh with me, cry with me, encourage me and remind me that it's okay to not be okay - thank you and know that I'd do the exact same for you. 

I'd do the same for anyone who needed it.

So I'll leave you with this...
You might see a friend, or family member or acquaintance and think they're fine, they might look like they are 'smashing life', but they might not feel that way. It takes 5 seconds to say, "You okay?". That could be the difference between someone crying alone and someone crying into the shoulder of a friend and knowing they've been caught before they spiral downwards.

We are stronger than we believe and we are stronger together.

Lots of love,

Rebecca x

P.S. Some useful links if you need them 💚

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/mental-health-awareness-week

https://www.mind.org.uk/

http://42ndstreet.org.uk/

Comments

Popular Posts