A howdy doo and a theatre review!

IYA LUV!

Funny story: I went to start writing this blog and Hettie, the cat, back flipped off the window sill, spooked by something outside. I gave her a cuddle, she took her place on the window sill again (which no doubt means it'll happen again) and I sat back down to write!

How the devil are you? I hope you're having a great day whatever you're doing and most importantly, thanks for having a read of my blog.

Something I really want to do, and have done for a while, is share my thoughts/semi-review shows I watch at the theatre! I guess there's no time like the present, so here goes...

Myself, my Mum and my boyfriend went to London 2 weeks ago and saw three exceptional productions: Come From Away, Grief is the Thing with Feathers and Waitress the Musical. 

Come From Away

Image result for come from away london

Based on a true events, Come From Away tell the story of 7,000 stranded passengers and the small town community of Gander, Newfoundland that welcomed them on September 11th 2001. A clash of cultures, language barriers and high-running nerves are quickly turned to music, an open bar, food, warmth and friendship by the community of Gander, as they selflessly recognise that we're all part of one global family. 

Now, I've wanted to see this show for quite some time so I purposely avoided listening to the soundtrack before hand and knew the bare minimum about the plot. I went in blind and often do with new shows, because it makes me appreciate it so much more if I enjoy it!

The performance ran at 1 hour 40 minutes without an interval. It didn't need an interval and I felt that to understand what these people really went through, you had to walk the whole journey with these actors without a break in the middle. 

It was executed honestly and beautifully and in a way which really honoured the story and music. For that, I completely applaud the director, Christopher Ashley and Kelly Devine, on the Musical staging. 

I feel there is a different level of care which needs to be taken up when telling a true story and that was inherited by the entire creative time, especially the actors and musicians. They were able to embrace this sense of community and family which, of course, left a greater impact on the audience as well as the music which, with a quite celtic vibe, left everyone bouncing in their seats and me, singing, "I, an Islander. I am an Islander!" as I left the theatre. It was infectious! I was also very glad that the musicians took centre stage to play incredibly and bow... oddly that doesn't always happen but it should!

I take my hat of to the cast because I don't think I've ever seen so much raw talent in a west end musical before, with some actors taking on 3 or 4 characters throughout. My personal favourites were Jonathan Andrew Hume, Clive Carter, Jenna Boyd and Rachel Tucker! It was a huge tick off my bucket list of 'People I'd Like To See Perform' when Rachel took to the stage for her solo song, Me and The Sky, and yes I did cry. 

To be honest, I cried several times throughout the show because it was a highly emotive event to portray and it highlighted both the flaws and beauty in our communications as a race. It looked beyond that incident and into the bigger picture of our need to be kind to others without judgement or opinion. 

It is a very special show and one that shouldn't be missed. 

Grief is the Thing with Feathers


Image result for grief is the thing with feathers poster

Written by Max Porter, Greif is the Thing with Feathers expertly portrays grief in the form of 'Crow', who can only be described as the ferrel and cynical trixster in our minds eye when faced with a trauma of any kind. The one with only bad and distorted things to say. 

I knew very little of Max Porter and director, Enda Walsh. My main reason for booking to see this performance was Cillian Murphy taking on the lead role. I have a lot of respect for him as an actor and the background he has come from and how he has progressed in his career. He did not disappoint. 

The set was very simple and big, which really emphasised how empty it was: missing that warmth, which through performance was described, to have taken up this household before the Mother's death. Cillian's character deals with his wife's passing while struggling to bring up his two son's as a single father. In his immediate grief, and throughout the play, he jumps between the naturalistic and fragile father and the animated and slightly surreal 'Crow', who seems to appear at all the wrong times. 

When Crow takes residence on the stage and in the flat, Adam Silverman on lighting and Helen Atkinson on sound manage to create a storm of flashing light, demonic sound and a disturbing vortex for the senses. Quite a masterpiece. 

Image result for grief is the thing with feathers poster

I particularly enjoyed the Father and Crow being one character: the complete contrast in their personalities and performance style. It made the Crow, in some way, more human and relatable. Cillian Murphy's versatility as a performer became evident and most impressive to watch. It was quite clear that both he and Enda, had worked together toward the same goal in performance, which was lovely to see. 

At the most delicate of moments, however, when the plays soul focus became simply about the loss of another, Enda Walsh directed with such an honest approach: adopting the text as it is and simply speaking the words. It was beautiful and very raw having followed the widow and his sons, who were two fantastic young actors, and their roller-coaster of a journey.

Waitress

Image result for waitress the musical

MY NEW FAVOURITE MUSICAL!!!

Katherine McPhee takes on the leading role of Jenna, a waitress and expert pie-maker who dreams of a way out of her small town and rocky marriage. She pours her heart into her pies and hand-crafts desserts that mirror her roller-coaster ride through life such as “The Key (Lime) to Happiness Pie” and “Betrayed By My Eggs Pie”. When a baking contest in a nearby county, and a satisfying run-in with a new doctor, show Jenna a chance at a fresh start, she realises she must find the courage to seize it. 

Change is on the menu, so long as Jenna can write her perfect recipe for happiness.

A female-led creative team bring this show to life at the Adelphi Theatre, London (get in!) and Sara Bareilles excels in her writing of this shows music and lyrics! These songs will melt your heart and my goodness, you've never forget the recipe for the perfect pie!

The entire cast were so diverse and yet complimented each other tremendously. I enjoyed the contemporary choreography and how it was punctuated by the music - genius. 

Katherine McPhee delivers a sincere performance as Jenna, with a sensational voice gliding delicately from note to note. Her relationship with fellow waitress's, Marisha Wallace and Laura Baldwin, is one that rely's on love, laughter and honesty and their harmonies as a trio will leave you in awe. 

Special mentions to David Hunter and Jack McBrayer (the voice of Fix-it Felix from Wreck It Ralph... I called that one!): both effortlessly funny in the most endearing way, allowing us as the audience to care greatly for their characters' progression. 

The story itself is one of the most well-rounded I have seen in any musical. We see the full arc of Jenna's story, and see many depths in her various relationships. When your belly hurts from laughing so much and you are brought to tears in the most heart-wrenching way - you can't help but leave slightly impressed at what a masterful show these creatives have put together.

I cannot recommend this show highly enough and the theatre smelt like pie, so what's not to love!

I was very happy with my Waitress Oyster Card holder too!

I hope you enjoyed reading a few of my thoughts on these three shows, like I said it's something I've wanted to do for a while because I visit the theatre so much and always have so much to say after!

On a final note, two days ago was my 2nd blog-iversary! These blogs have given me an outlet to share my thoughts and be an even bigger advocate for the things I believe in, so thank you for supporting me and I hope I continue to make you chuckle over your morning brew! 

Lots of love,

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts