MARCH MADNESS

IYA LUV! 


Photo: Sarah K Wardle Photography 


Happy International Women's Day!

I didn't write any blogs last month so I'll make this one count I promise.

So what's new with me since we last spoke? 

Well, I worked on a short film in January. I've had auditions for acting jobs, rejections from acting jobs and offers for acting jobs. From one of those rejections I decided (finally) to put on my own show, Pill, on March 5th and it sold out... a show that I produced, wrote and performed sold out - madness! I'm currently working on a job until the end of March where I bring Leonardo Da Vinci's sketch of 'Leda' to life at the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. The piece is for KS2 children and it ties in with it being 500 years since Leonardo's death this year and that the venue is one of the 12 selected galleries in the UK exhibiting his works... quite cool. 

There has been an equal amount of tears and stress too!

Generally speaking though, I'm in an okay place at the moment. I'm working - which for the meantime means I have piece of mind in terms of acting and money. I'm not crying too much, unless I reach the really sad moment of a film, then of course it's totally warranted. Most importantly, my thoughts aren't really spiralling so for now, I feel in control. 

One thing that has really tested that however is Pill, putting it on and the performance itself.

I've worked on Pill in the various forms it has taken for around 3 and a half years and it has become something I am so passionate about sharing, which I never thought it would. I had people I knew and complete strangers watching on Tuesday and the moment it was over, I started to feel an overwhelming doubt in my mind. 

No one said a bad word about it, and I was happy with how it went, but still this doubt loomed. I realised after a day or so that I really cared about what the audience had thought - that became more important than congratulating myself on the  success of producing and performing a show I wrote with my own theatre company. 

Don't get me wrong, I am confident with the Pill now, because it's just me saying the words I want to say in my own way: I'm not hiding behind a character, but I also know that the piece is still on a journey so it needed an audience to inform the next steps of development. 

I am so grateful to have received the feedback I got and it's really opened my eyes as to knowing what I am capable of creating and that I shouldn't underestimate that. Still the post show blues were immediate and more of a navy colour than a sky blue. 

So that kind of brings me on to what's next for the show. Well... it is going to be further developed. I have had many thoughts about where it may take Blue Balloon as a company, but it's too early to say at this point where that may be. The main thing is that there are options and excellent one's at that - so I'm pleased. 

Blue Balloon is still in the very early stages of it's business set up, so patience is key for me at the moment and just knowing how much positivity came from Pill's performance alone has put me and the company in good stead for the future. 

So yeah, it's been a busy couple of months.
An emotional couple of months. 

Here's some other thing's I've done... I wrote another song,  and taught Hettie, the cat, how to high five. 

If you haven't already guessed, being creative is my outlet. I do everything I can to shape my own future because I want to. I have the drive and passion to do so, so why shouldn't I? 

I often feel lost if I can't be creative. An example being if I don't have a notebook in my bag when I'm out and about, I feel sad or perhaps even anxious, because what if I get a genius idea and make note of it... lol... like I have genius ideas. 

What I'm trying to say is that we must not sit back if we feel so strongly about something. We must be bold and take a risk, like I did with Pill, because how else can we learn and grow? 

If there is one thing I would say to you right now, it would be don't underestimate yourself and your abilities. Don't stop yourself from fulfilling your potential because of what's in your mind. It's not all true, you know! 

Anyway, I'm off - I need to prepare for tomorrow's audition. Here's another picture of me in my favourite tee! 💖


Photo: Sarah K Wardle Photography

Lots of love, 

Rebecca x

P.S. I'm dedicating this blog to the women in my life that have shaped me as a person and performer and who continue to inspire me every day. 

Comments

Popular Posts