Acting, Auditioning and Longevity!

IYA LUV,

So I need to get this off my chest before I BURST!

I want to discuss acting, auditioning and longevity in this  industry.

In the last two months, I have experienced issue after issue within my acting career. Problems that I sincerely hope my actor friends don't have to go through any time soon! Seriously, the overwhelming stress has gotten tedious and I down right refuse to not talk about it!

The first thing I'm going to point out is simply this...

Performing is my passion.
It will always be my passion.

Like me, you may have studied for however many years at drama school or university to learn about and perfect your craft. Or, like some of my friends, you may have just auditioned for various acting jobs and learnt through continuously working and using your experience up until this point. Whichever you've done, you have knowledge and an understanding of what you do that cannot be ignored or undermined by anyone, in my opinion.

It is important that the people you work with, be that other actors, directors, agents, whoever, respect you as an individual and whatever it is you bring to this industry. Nobody likes to be patronised or made to feel small especially by having their work ethic, ability or experience undermined.

If you want to help, guide or advise someone:
BE DIRECT AND BE POLITE, SIMPLE!

Those who have a passion for what they do will always try and cease every opportunity. But, you and I both know that life can be difficult, throwing curve balls at us when we least expect them, meaning that we can't always do that.

In an actors case, we will try our damned hardest to make it to every audition but sometimes we just can't! There are SO many reasons why and most of them don't interfere with our level of commitment or love for the arts. Which leads me to an important reminder:

If, for whatever reason, you can't make an audition, THAT IS OKAY! Trust me, the world won't end and there WILL be other opportunities. BUT! Don't let anyone make you feel bad or guilty about it. It is completely unfair and unnecessary!

In some instances, it may not even be up to you, whether you do or don't attend an audition. This can be tricky, yes, but it doesn't have to be. If you're anything like me, honesty is the best policy, I would be and I am upfront about any situation like this. In my opinion, if a fellow actor you're working with or your director or agent, are
understanding of the fact that a chance to be seen is a rarity in itself, they should accommodate you in ceasing opportunities if it's feasible. The same should apply to every member of the company. Simple. 

ANOTHER IMPORTANT REMINDER:
There can't be one rule for some people and another rule for others.

Just, no!
From what I've learnt in the past year, specifically the last 2 months, it's that you must trust your intuition and gut instinct. If something doesn't sit right with you, address it and/or change it.

I know that experience shapes us in the way we are, in what we do and in our future decision making, but,

"Universe! Enough of the bullsh*t. I deserve a dog for all of this! THANK YOU!"
The last thing I'm going to talk about is longevity, which to some might sound silly because I haven't been working in the industry for a long time, but hear me out anyway.

I think the key to longevity is being able to fuel yourself.

Something I pride myself on, is the ability to not be overly phased by rejection. I push myself to move forward. Rejection doesn't make me want to give up, it makes me want to improve. It makes me want to achieve more than I've ever wanted to achieve before and from the rejections I've had thus far, I'm close to being Wonder Woman!

Our craft is a beautiful thing in that we learn, every single day and o
ne day, when my face, voice and characteristics fit the bill and I achieve something so great, I'll be able to put everything I continue to learn into my performances.

That thought, right there, that's my key to my longevity. 


...And if I'm 90 when I achieve that, I'm okay with that!

Look after yourselves.
Lots of love,

Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts