Freedom of Expression

IYA LUV, 

Last year I set up a theatre company called Blue Balloon Theatre, the idea behind the creation was to construct a platform that would enable actors to develop and showcase their own work. Last night... Blue Balloon did just that!

After 2 months of preparation and consistently long Facebook posts to my cast (I know you'll need a good few weeks before I speak to you again), we held an event called Freedom of Expression at Tusk, Northern Quarter. I opened it up to creative people in Manchester and selected those who I thought deserved the opportunity to showcase their talent. 

Now, before I go any further, I must tell you that this cast of people that were involved were so fiercely diverse, it was quite spectacular to see them take to the stage and say exactly what they wanted to say in the way they wanted to say it without fear of judgement or comparison! 

I called them a cast from the get go, not to sound pretentious but to instil the notion that to create a show, you must work as a collective which I believe to be true. Without these guys, I would have had the bare foundations of a show and nothing more so thank you to them for embracing this experience with love and warmth and making it possible!

As I said earlier Tusk was our venue for said show, it is an intimate venue, very unique and their cocktails are to die for! Now I thought it was the most fitting place to hold our night, but little did I know that we would be inundated with audience members! To say I was overwhelmed at the turn out would be an understatement!! The audience were supportive, compassionate and all round wonderful human beings - thank you! 

I believe that art should be accessible, you shouldn't have to pay through the roof to see artists to their thing, so I made this event free. At the end of the night, with top hat in hand, I explained that we had done this event off our own backs to create a special night of sharing, love and inspiration and their didn't need to be an entrance fee to do that, but if the audience thought what they had seen was worth something, they could put any donations into my top hat which would then go towards future projects. 

Now me, I didn't expect anything because my intention was not to earn money for the company, however I was moved to tears by the generosity and selfless nature of our audience. We raised a massive £84.98 to go towards Blue Balloon's future and for that I am eternally grateful! 

3 years ago, I never in a million years would have thought I could have the courage or determination I have now to create my own work and opportunities, but more importantly to create opportunities for others. It warms my heart to know that people were inspired by last night as that was my main intention! This industry is hard to work in, it's unpredictable and because of that it can sometimes feel quite intimidating but what I've learnt and what I'd like to share with you, is that you just have to go for it! 

There is no one like you. No one will ever be like you. If you want to create something you've been thinking about for months or even years, just do it - make it happen for yourself! I'm tired of worrying about consequences; I would much rather take a risk and potentially make something special. 

Blue Balloon made that happen last night! 💪

Until the next time...

Lots of love, 
Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts