Gym Culture

IYA LUV! 

Are you sitting with your feet up and a brew in hand? Jolly good, I am too - let's begin. 

As a cold crept in to my system last night, I did everything in my power to avoid being ill and fell asleep early. I woke up however, with my voice having gone down an octave and craving vitamins of any kind!

I am a person that, in true British fashion, I keep calm and carry on when I'm ill. I do whatever I can to get better and don't get bogged down by it. Today for example, I knew that my body needed to sweat this snotty monstrosity out - so I booked a class at the gym and went because I knew it'd make me feel better!

I love going to the gym; it makes me feel good, mentally and physically. I never find it a chore, it's just something I do for myself. I'd never done one of the classes before but had wanted to for some time and thought this was the perfect day to try! 

I walk into the studio and immediately feel like a deer in headlights! I had one mission today and that was to work hard and sweat, but in the process of doing so, I have a group of 25-30 women looking at me with a judging stare!

I tentatively found a corner, dumped my stuff, grabbed some equipment and sat down. The silence was the deadly. Going on for longer than it should have because the instructor was a few minutes late. 

I know that these instructors teach several classes a day, so understandably so they are going through the motions and teaching a set of exercises to the best of their ability without making it personal. 

It was a toning class, and I really  enjoyed it! I was challenged but I didn't feel out of my depth. My heart was pumping and I felt good... but even the instructor maintained this silence in the room. 

Perhaps it's just me, but I was craving sound other than the booming bass coming from the speakers. I guess that's what personal trainers are for. You work hard but can talk to them, finding motivation through the words of your instructor. This class was filled with women who didn't want that. It seemed that they wanted to get ripped, working like machines and doing so with an air of arrogance toward anyone that wasn't going at the same pace as them. 

I go to the gym to improve my strength, fitness and health. I go as much as I can and try to listen to what my body needs each time. This has allowed me to make steady progression to my 'ideal' fitness level, which is great! Each individual's fitness regime will be different so why turn your nose up at other people ultimately trying to achieve something, just like you are?

Your energy should be on your own work! 

I do not stare at other men and women and critique them or wish I could go at their pace because that's utterly ridiculous! They don't have the same hereditary short arms as me, nor the tiny feet, nor the huge bottom! I will do my very best to achieve my own targets but not someone else's.

I do not hold a grudge against those women in the class with me today because they were working hard to achieve their own personal reasons, but I'd like to propose an idea... 

We have a capability to empower others so why not choose to empower other men and women and defy the social stigma that comes with going to the gym? 

Don't compare, don't judge, don't envy and DON'T PUT YOURSELF DOWN!

The gym is initially a big play ground where we go to release endorphins and feel good! 

Next time you're doing a class, doing a 5k on the treadmill or taking baby steps toward your own 'ideal' fitness - smile at the people around you. Encourage them. Be inspired by their work ethics. Work to the pace and rhythm of your own body and if you want to challenge it by setting yourself a target, fantastic, because that is progression!

You do you 💛

Lots of love,
Rebecca x

Comments

Popular Posts