Bodies bodies, everywhere!

Hiya loves!

I thought my first blog would be about acting, but I've been thinking a lot about bodies, both my body and other peoples bodies, over the last few days and wanted to share my musings with you. 


So, I was scrolling through my Facebook News Feed the other day, as you do, and I see this very disturbing picture...

No automatic alt text available. 

Now, I don't know about you, but I've become used to seeing these meme's each time I log into any form of social media like...

Image result for body memesAnd...           Image result for summer body memes


All of them gloriously pointing out flaws in people's bodies, be it indirect or completely in your face. It was only after seeing the first meme I showed you, that I actually started to really think; this is not ok!

Self harming in a meme?! Absolutely not.

Now, I have issues with my body, the way I look and the way I think other people see me. Some days are worse than others. Last Friday for example; I performed a short piece of theatre for my practical dissertation. During the piece I removed my clothing, leaving me in shorts and a sports bra - words written all over my skin in regards to the subject matter. 

I did it to aid the piece and didn't think for one minute, "I'm wearing no clothes in a performance, OMG what are people going to think of me?!" If anything, I was felt like I had accomplished something in being able to do it and not overthink it within an inch of it's life!

It was when I watched the recording of the piece that I started to look intensely at my body, the shape of it; what I consider to be imperfections. I did so for the entirety of the film and when it was finished, I felt so physically aware and to some extent ashamed. But ashamed of what?

Then I had an epiphany!!!

I had seen the first meme a day or two before my performance and so when the performance came, it was still on my mind, whether I knew it at the time or not. The impact that meme had had on me was so vast, I felt haunted by it!

I shook my head, because I was annoyed that I had let myself be so affected by something so negative. What I had ceased to remember was that you will never find two bodies alike. Size 8, size 18, black, white, tall, short. And just for the record, what even is a perfect body? Is there such a thing?

Why should a meme, 1 of the millions on social media, predict how I treat my body. I am an individual and I have the power to choose how I treat myself. Whether that be weight loss, weight gain, spa day, putting a bit of lippy on if I'm having a shit day... So long as I am happy and healthy, what my body looks like doesn't matter. 

So I guess in telling you this, I call out to anyone that ever compared themselves to an expectation set within our society of how we should look, boy or girl, man or woman.

You're never going to be someone else, or like someone else. You're always going to be you, so give yourself, and your body, the love you give to other people. Love yourself so that you set your own, individual expectation to be happy in your skin.

I'm really glad I shared this; I feel like I've cleansed myself of negative energy that was bothering me and I hope it's helped you in some way too. 

On that note, I need to do my dissertation!

Lots of love,
Rebecca x



Comments

Popular Posts